Netflix pushes back on ‘panicked’ Prince Harry, Meghan Markle over docuseries edits

3 min


183
122 shares, 183 points

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are at odds with Netflix and even their own production team, sources told Page Six, as they backtrack on what they want to show the public.

The couple allegedly wants to cut chunks from their upcoming docuseries, which they have been filming for more than a year now — but Netflix chiefs are standing by the Sussexes’ filmmakers, who want to keep the content, according to insiders.

“Harry and Meghan are having second thoughts on their own story, on their own project,” a Netflix source told Page Six this week.

According to another industry source, “Harry and Meghan are panicked about trying to tone down even the most basic language. But it’s their story, from their own mouths.”

Page Six previously revealed how the Duke and Duchess of Sussex wanted to edit the show in the wake of Queen Elizabeth’s death last month, as it’s believed to include a number of truth bombs involving King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla as well as William and Kate, the new Prince and Princess of Wales.

"Harry and Meghan are having second thoughts on their own story, on their own project," a Netflix source told Page Six this week.
“Harry and Meghan are having second thoughts on their own story, on their own project,” a Netflix source told Page Six this week.
MediaPunch/BACKGRID
According to sources, the couple actually started rethinking the show before Queen Elizabeth's death on September 8.
According to sources, the couple actually started rethinking the show before Queen Elizabeth’s death on Sept. 8.
Getty Images

Sources now say the couple actually started rethinking the show — which is being produced by their own company, Archewell — before the monarch died on Sept. 8 at age 96.

“They’ve made significant requests to walk back content they themselves have provided — to the extent that some Netflix staff believe, if granted, it will effectively shelve the project indefinitely,” the Netflix source said. “Netflix is standing by the filmmakers.”

The Sussexes have been followed around the world by a camera crew for the past year, including in New York last September.
The Sussexes have been followed around the world by a camera crew for the past year, including in New York last September.
Getty Images for Global Citizen
Netflix is reportedly sticking with its decision to air the series after the new season of "The Crown" premieres.
Netflix is reportedly sticking with its decision to air the series after the new season of “The Crown” premieres.
AFP via Getty Images

While the Sussexes want the show to launch next year, the streamer — which has paid the couple millions of dollars — has long wanted it to debut it right after season 5 of “The Crown,” which drops on November 9.

“Netflix has made it clear that the project is going forward,” said the industry source.

Netflix had no comment, and a representative for the prince and Markle did not respond to requests for comment.

Sources say that filming has included truth bombs about the Princess and Prince of Wales (left).
Sources say that filming has included truth bombs about William and Kate, the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Getty Images
King Charles reportedly will not make a decision on the Sussexes' children receiving "Prince" and "Princess" titles until he knows what is in the show and Harry's upcoming memoir.
King Charles reportedly will not make a decision on the Sussexes’ children receiving “Prince” and “Princess” titles until he knows what’s in the show and Harry’s upcoming memoir.
POOL/AFP via Getty Images

The Sussexes have been followed around the world by a camera crew led by Oscar-nominated director Liz Garbus.

So far, Netflix has yet to comment on the show, but when asked about the project in her bombshell interview with The Cut in August, Markle described it as, “The piece of my life I haven’t been able to share, that people haven’t been able to see … our love story.” 
She also called Garbus “incredible”

The filmmakers are not believed to have the final edit — that rests with the Sussexes and Netflix, sources said.

With Queen Elizabeth’s passing, the Sussexes’ children, Archie, 3, and Lilibet, 1, are now entitled to be called Prince and Princess, but the decision lies in the hands of their grandfather King Charles.

But royal insiders have said that Charles will only make this decision once he has seen what Harry has written in his upcoming memoir, and what is included in the Netflix show.


Like it? Share with your friends!

183
122 shares, 183 points

What's Your Reaction?

Cute Cute
8
Cute
Fun Fun
26
Fun
Hate Hate
21
Hate
Confused Confused
10
Confused
Fail Fail
2
Fail
Geeky Geeky
24
Geeky
Love Love
16
Love
OMG OMG
10
OMG
Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Poll
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Story
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
List
The Classic Internet Listicles
Countdown
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Meme
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Video
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Audio
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Image
Photo or GIF
Gif
GIF format